Some dogs devour food at lightning speed, so fast that they sometimes don’t even have time to breathe correctly. Eating quicker could make mealtime challenging for the dog. In addition, there are many health problems associated with eating too fast. So keep reading this article if you want to know whether your dog is eating his food in the right way.
There are a lot of health problems which can be associated with eating food fast, but below mentioned are a few of the most important ones:
- If your canine is eating too fast, there are chances it’ll put on weight quicker.
- Apart from that, if your dog is eating too fast, it may cause a life-threatening situation called bloat (Gastric Dilatation).
- The symptoms of bloat can be heavy breathing, vomiting, drooling, and collapsing. If you notice those symptoms, take your dog to the vet without delay.
- Another reason for controlling rapid ingesting is that it could cause gagging and choking because they are not chewing the meals properly.
So make sure you seek advice from your vet if you notice any such behavior in your pet.
Why do dogs adapt to this fast eating habit?
Many puppies can have this speedy consuming behavior from a younger age. If your canine came from a vast litter, there would usually be competition amongst the pups to replenish their tummy before the food runs out. Apart from that, your dog might consume rapidly because of medical reasons. For example, parasites in their colon or stomach can take in all the nutrients, making dogs very hungry frequently.
How to resolve the ingesting disorder of your dog?
- Many dog owners use a massive ball in their feeding bowl. So the pup has to move around the ball to have the entire meal. This offers it some time to slow down while warding off the threat of choking and gagging.
- You should buy a product that suits your pet’s food requirements. For instance, some feeding bowls come in different varieties such as a beginner, moderate, and advanced range. You can also purchase feeding bowls constructed to reduce the consumption of dogs according to their needs.
- Feed your dog in small portions of the day if none of the above-stated strategies works for puppies. Apart from that, you can play games that distract them for some time, allowing you to chunk their food intake nicely. In the end, manipulate your dog to change its eating habit slowly. Also, consult a vet to understand if your dog is suffering from a medical situation.
- Dogs like to eat, and after an extended playful day, they need a considerable amount of food to kill their hunger. Suppose your furry friend eats at a moderate speed, but suddenly, it has picked up accelerated speed to finish the food. In that case, probably it’s because of underlying health trouble. In case of surprising, unusual behavior, you should always take your dog to the veterinary clinic as soon as possible.
Dogs become inseparable parts of our lives and watching them go through any illness is the last thing any loving dog parent will love to see. So make sure you get good dog insurance when you bring a dog home. Having dog insurance will stop the unprecedented amount of cash flow that can be needed in a situation of emergency. Also, when you have good pet insurance, you don’t worry about anything else and focus on your pet’s well-being. Which is the only thing a responsible pet parent wants to be concerned about.